Happy Friday, everyone! I’m back with another ‘Christmas Gift Guide’ blog post, and today we’re talking about gift ideas for any special gentleman in your life. Is it just me, or are men very tricky when it comes to Christmas gifts? I always have to beg Neal to give me his Christmas list, usually he only gets round to doing it a few days before Christmas (after I’ve nagged him for about 4 weeks). And when I actually do get the list, it usually consists of things like “socks” or “something for his mountain bike”. Gosh, if I buy one more gadget for his bike, it’ll be a Transformer soon.
Anyway – after a good few years of practice, I’ve managed to compile my own secret list of fool-proof pieces that will win any man over like a charm. There are certain types of gifts that will work for almost any guy i.e. something techie, a nice accessory or even just a new toiletry set. For additional gift ideas, check out previous years’ blog posts below:
Before we take a look at the products, pricing and stockists of my handpicked gift ideas, I have one question for you: Did you take a squiz at my first Christmas gift guide blog post I uploaded on Wednesday? If not, click below – trust me, it’s a goodie!
Let’s get into it, shall we?
1. Aeroplane USB Hub ♦ R180,00 – If he’s into his techie gadgets, then this will be a great gift! Not only is it super fun, but it’s incredibly useful too. Increase the number of USB ports on his computer with this 4 high-speed port USB hub in a nifty aeroplane design. Cute, hey? Get it at selected Woolworths stores or here.
2. The Carnivore Club Spices ♦ R139,95 – Neal is a total braai master, so I think I might get this for him as a stocking stuffer (I hope he isn’t reading this blog post). The set contains a selection of spices / rubs for various meat cuts i.e. Argentinian Chimichurri spice mix, Moroccan Harissa, Sweet & Smokey Mustard Rub (yum!), Caribbean Jerk, and Traditional BBQ. Available at selected Woolworths stores or here.
3. Sorbet Man VIP Set ♦ R199,00 – You can never go wrong with gifting a new toiletry bag filled with new face- and body care products. The Sorbet Man Toiletry Bag Gift Set comes with a 2-in-1 face wash and scrub, a face moisturiser with SPF15 and a post-shave balm that helps control bumps. Also included is a R50,00 Bro Bucks voucher for a Sorbet Man Salon. Get it at Clicks stores nationwide or here.
4. Nespresso CitiZ&Milk Coffee Machine ♦ R2750,00 – Nespresso, has looked to the skylines of the world’s most loved cities to inspire the refreshed design of its equally iconic CitiZ machine range. The user-friendly features include 2 programmable buttons with automatic flow-stop for Espresso and Lungo coffee preparations, as well as a removable drip tray for taller glass recipes. Fitted with an Aeroccino (I can’t imagine making a coffee without it), which prepares perfect milk froth and hot milk automatically, CitiZ&Milk allows you to create an endless number of milk-based coffee recipes at the touch of a button. The 19 bar high-performance pump offers barista-style coffee every time, perfectly extracting the delicate flavour and premium aromas of each coffee capsule. The fast heat-up system reaches the ideal temperature in just 25 seconds, while the automatic energy-saving function switches the machine off after 9 minutes of inactivity. Each machine includes a welcome set with a range of Nespresso capsules with unique aroma profiles. Trust me when I say: There’s nothing quite like making a good coffee (that would give any barista a run for his money) in the comfort of your own home. Neal and I don’t own any other coffee machines (we donated our other 2 machines) – Nespresso is a firm favourite in the Ashby household. The normal price of the newly designed Nespresso CitiZ&Milk machine is R3500,00 but it’s currently on sale for R2750,00 here, here and here. You can also purchase it at Nespresso boutiques, and through trade partners such as Boardmans, @home, YuppieChef, Hirsch’s & Dion Wired. Alternatively get it online here.
5. Fitbit Blaze ♦ R3990,00 – Whether he’s into running, mountain biking, gymming, hiking, or any other sport – a Fitbit will be the perfect Christmas gift. Definitely a great option for fitness lovers, or those planning to kick 2017 off with a new regime. The Fitbit Blaze is the ultimate smart fitness watch, built with revolutionary features from PurePulse heart rate monitoring to daily activity data collection (which includes steps taken, distance covered, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes etc). A SmartTrack function means that activities are automatically recognised and recorded, and multi-sport logging features, on-screen workouts and summaries are also available. The device syncs wirelessly, includes a battery life of up to 5 days, and is water resistant. Connect it to your phone to receive smart notifications, from call to text and calendar alerts, as well as control music – it really is a nifty little watch! Auto sleep tracking and silent alarms are also included. Get it at these national retailers (Clicks, Cape Union Mart, Dion Wired, Due South, Dis-Chem, Game, Hi-Online, Incredible Connection, iStore, Makro, Sportsmans Warehouse, Takealot.com and Totalsports). P.S. It’s on sale at Incredible Connection for R3499,00 here and at Makro for R3699,00 here (for a limited time).
6. Nespresso Limited Edition Holiday 2016 Capsules ♦ R95,00 per sleeve – Ya’ll already know how much Neal and I enjoy our Nespresso coffee but there’s one thing that always gets me excited, and that’s the limited edition variations during the Christmas holiday season. Gosh, I always stock up on them because they truly are something special – each and every year. For 2016, the limited edition variations (there are 3) were inspired by the rich coffee house traditions and elegance of Vienna, each with a comforting and indulgent aroma that is set to delight any coffee lover. I’ve had the pleasure of tasting all 3 variations, and so far the ‘Apfelstrudel’ and ‘Linzer Torte’ are my 2 faves. First up we have ‘Sachertorte’ – this variation celebrates the popular Austrian Sachertorte, a glazed chocolate cake with a thin layer of sweet apricot jam. ‘Sachertorte’ combines the balance and roundness of the Livanto Grand Cru with soft chocolate and apricot notes. Next up we have ‘Apfelstrudel’, which is inspired by the classic layered puff pastry dessert which contains a sweet apple filling delicately spiced with cinnamon. ‘Apfelstrudel’ combines Livanto’s balance and roundness with the rich aromas of homebaked pastry, baked apples and a hint of cinnamon (it’s such a comforting variation). And lastly we have ‘Linzer Torte’ – a tasty red fruit tart topped with a beautiful lattice design. This is a delightful marriage of Livanto’s balance and roundness with the taste of red fruits and spiced dough notes (it’s very fresh, and almost tangy too). All 3 variations have an intensity level of 6 (on a scale up to 12) and each sleeve contains 10 capsules. Available for a limited period at Nespresso boutiques nationwide or here.
7. Faux Leather Backpack ♦ R189,99 – A backpack will always come in handy, right? Unlike real leather, this pleather version is not only cruelty-free but also really affordable. If he’s been looking for a bag to take to work / uni / the gym but doesn’t want to carry around a big briefcase or sports bag, this a great option – it’s both smart and cool. You’ll find it at Mr. Price stores nationwide.
8. John Varvatos Artisan Acqua EDT ♦ R1395,00 – This new fragrance (just launched in SA) blends an invigorating mixture of earthy aromas and a little bit of spice. Neal recently received one of the new John Varvatos fragrances, and he loves that it sinks into the skin and develops over the time. The John Varvatos Artisan Acqua fragrance combines an uplifting citrus blend with accents of spices and herbs for a unique woody aroma, embodying the confidence, creativity and passion of the modern man. Artisan Acque highlights the tangelo and mandarin signature notes, with fresh & lighthearted notes of lavender, clary sage, and basil. You’ll find all 5 John Varvatos fragrances at Edgars, retailing at R1395,00 for a 125ml and R1195,00 for a 75ml.
9. Yankee Candle Barbershop Footed Candle ♦ R320,00 – For the more modern man, this new Yankee Candle range is reminiscent of the barbershop – clean and classic with a modern twist. The sophisticated blend of eucalyptus, lavender and amber offers a modern twist on a classic tradition. The footed tumbler offers a clean & modern design, whilst still delivering up to 45 hours worth of fragrance time. Get it at Yankee candle stores or selected tobacco stores nationwide, or here.
10. Chilli Addict Sauce Selection ♦ R159,95 – If he’s into hot sauces, then is going to LOVE this selection of spicy sauces. The 5-piece set consists of: Saucy Sriracha, Chipotle Jalapeno, Spicy Peri Peri, Fiery Habanero, and Ghost Chilli. Available at Woolworths stores nationwide, or here.
11. Copper Effect Plunger ♦ R450,00 – For those with a limited amount of countertop space, a coffee plunger is a great option! This sturdy, yet stunning copper french press is easily portable and can also be used for camping, traveling, or just at the office. Form meets function with this copper-effect plunger, made with a lightweight, heat-resistant borosilicate glass beaker to keep contents warmer for longer. The coffee-loving recipient will love this, and it might get its first test-run right after Christmas lunch. Find it at selected Woolworths stores, or here.
12. Contrast Lace Up Sneakers ♦ R499,00 – Step up your his weekend jeans-and-tee outfit with these lightweight, durable sneakers. These lace-up sneakers will add bounce to his step, plus they’re comfortable enough for the usual outdoor activities (bike rides, park outings, soccer games), but also stylish enough for a casual dinner. With contrast panels featuring slub fabric at the front, and a faux leather sporty cut-out band that is pulled together with the laces – these are super lightweight and durable. Available at Woolworths stores, or here.
13. Marble Flatbill ♦ R79,99 – Your stylish friend or younger brother will appreciate this trendy marble effect cap…no doubt about it! Super affordable, you’ll find this at selected Mr. Price stores, or here.
14. Textured Wallet ♦ R70,99 – Men…I speak from experience when I say Neal refuses to buy a new wallet unless his current one is lost or literally fall apart. Fortunately, that’s what Christmas is for! Kit your guy out with this cool textured wallet – he’ll be most grateful! Get it at selected Mr. Price stores.
I hope you enjoy this blog post, it’s always nice to see some fresh, new gifting ideas from someone else’s perspective! Have a fab weekend, friends!