It’s the most wonderful time of the year! We’re starting my ‘Christmas Gift Guide’ series off with gifts for the special ladies in your life – these gifts all have a price tag of R200,00 or more. I’ve handpicked each gift based on what I would want to receive for Christmas, and I think I managed to cover all the bases i.e. food, lifestyle, décor, fashion, and makeup!
I’m planning on doing 5 gift guide blog posts this year – and instead of doing a ‘Gift Guide: For Pooches’ (doggies) post this time around, I thought I’d do a ‘My Christmas Wish List’ blog post instead (to give you some additional gift ideas). Don’t worry, though, Charlie and Jezebelle are still getting spoiled for Christmas – they’re definitely 2 very lucky fur babies! I also haven’t seen that many new & interesting pet products this year, and didn’t want to do a blog post that would probably consist of the same items I featured last year. Speaking of…if you are looking for some gift ideas for the special dog(s) in your life, click below:
And to check out last year’s gift guide (over R200) featuring products for a female friend or family member, click below:
I’m sure most of you know by now that these ‘Christmas Gift Guide’ blog posts have become a tradition here on the blog, and I always have so much fun compiling them for you! I would also like to mention that you are more than welcome to check out the 2014 edition and 2013 edition too. Some of the products mentioned in those blog posts are still available, so make sure you check them out for additional gift inspiration.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at some fab beauty and lifestyle products (I’ve included direct links to the products online where possible)!
1. Mimco Turnlock Hinged Bangle ♥ R499,00 – Jewellery as a gift is always a good idea, right? Elizabeth Arden very kinldy sent me a Christmas gift about a week ago and one of the items were one of these Mimco Turnlock Hinged Bangles (mine is gold & champagne). I’m not usually into bangles, but I really REALLY like this one. It’s chic, yet cute and will go with basically any outfit – casual or dressy. It depends what colours she’s into, but I quite liked the look of this rose gold bangle (ya’ll know rose gold and I are BFFs for life). There’s also a stunning copper one and a beautiful navy one (with silver accents). Get it at selected Woolworths stores nationwide or here. P.S. You’re going to be seeing a lot more Mimco goodies in upcoming blog posts (especially my Christmas Wish List), their jewellery is top quality and I have my eye on one of their bags too!
2. Grand Master Rectangular Mirror Tray ♥ R299,99 – If she’s more into décor, then she’ll adore this mirrored tray (it looks like it belongs on a fab coffee table in a Pinterest photo). It measures at L40cm x W30cm x H5cm, so it’s a decent sized one too! Available at selected Mr. Price Home stores or here.
3. Eau De Lacoste L.12.12 Magnetic Pour Elle ♥ R760,00 – I feel it’s only fair if I recommend fragrances that I have actually used myself, and top of my list at the moment is the Eau De Lacoste L.12.12 Magnetic Pour Elle Eau De Parfum. I love it because the tropical fruits notes are uplifting, but there’s also a very elegant side to it thanks to violet leaves absolute and jasmine. If she’s someone who enjoys light & fruity fragrances, then you can’t go wrong with this one! It was love at first spritz for me, and I’ve been using it non-stop for the past 2 months. Available at department stores nationwide.
4. Skincreamery Skin Tonic ♥ R420,00 – This is for the lady who enjoys taking care of her skin. Skincreamy is a local skincare brand that source only the finest organic ingredients – each chosen for their healing qualities and ability to easily penetrate the skin. Their range honours good environmental practices from start to finish, from locally grown ingredients to locally sourced packaging (plus they are a cruelty-free brand). Skin Tonic is one of their new products – I haven’t had the pleasure of testing it yet, but if their ‘Facial Cleansing Powder’ and ‘Facial Hydrating Oil’ is anything to go by, then the Skin Tonic will be a winner! Suitable for all skin types, this mineralising two-phase skin tonic will help to hydrate, nurture, and restore balance to the skin. The water phase contains Malachite (a mineral-rich crystal extract with powerful antioxidant and skin protecting properties), Baobab fruit powder (high in vitamin C to brighten the skin), and Rose Water (gently balances the skin’s PH and adds a touch of toning magic) to create a vitamin-rich floral splash. The omega-rich oil layer gently hydrates and conditions the skin. Just shake the bottle to mix both phases together – it can also be used as a lightweight moisturiser for slightly oilier skin, or as a soothing & cooling after-sun treatment. Available at selected stockists nationwide (click here to take a look) or in the Skincreamery online store here.
5. Cutout Crossbody Bag ♥ R250,00 – This handbag recently caught my eye at Woolworths, not only because of the beautiful cutout detail but also because it is super practical. These days I’m so over wearing a traditional handbag and usually like to throw on a backpack (keep your eyes peeled for my ‘Christmas Wish List’ blog post soon) or crossbody bag – I just feel they are so much more comfortable to wear. This black faux leather bag will go with most outfits, plus you can definitely wear it as a traditional handbag too over your one shoulder. Get it at selected Woolworths stores or here.
6. YSL Sparkle Clash Edition Multi-Usage Palette ♥ R935,00 – I’m not even joking when I say I almost started crying when a YSL box was delivered to my door last week and it contained the new and limited edition Sparkle Clash Holiday 2016 collection. Maybe a tad dramatic, but it is what it is. I don’t think I have EVER seen such a beautiful makeup palette (and I’ve been around for almost 34 years…blegh). Is it gold? Is it silver? Is it shooting stars? Trust me when I say: This is one of the most gorgeous makeup products that any lady will ever own. The palette is filled with holiday season essential colours – from a highlighter with pink and gold undertones, 4 new eye shadows (in shades of plum, gold, bronze, and a metallic rose), plus 2 lip colours (the perfect nude, and a dramatic red). Complete with applicators, it is designed to be the palette for women on the go, both precious and practical. A part of me doesn’t want to use the palette because I don’t want to ruin it, but…we only live once, right? So I might as well dig in! The Sparkle Clash Holiday products are available in the YSL Beauté Online Pop-up Boutique (SA-based) for a limited time only. Oh! And the online pop-up store also has stock of a couple of other YSL makeup products i.e. one of their bestsellers: Touche Éclat. Be sure to follow me on Instagram, I’ll be posting a photo of the collection items I received (and will post an Instagram story to show you a close-up of the shades in the palette).
7. Superga Rose Gold Sneakers ♥ R1099,00 – I have a confession to make…I own 6 pairs of Superga sneakers. They’re just so darn comfortable and so blêddie beautiful too! It all started when I decided to treat myself to a pair of Superga Gold Glitter sneakers…I loved them so much, I decided to buy a pair of metallic silver sneakers, then a pair of the rose gold sneakers, then a pair of plain white canvas sneakers…you catch my drift! Their sizing does run a little bit small (for me personally), I’m usually a size 7 shoe but I usually buy a size 41 (EU), which is a size 8 – otherwise they can feel a bit tight around the pad of your foot. Trust me, anyone who enjoys wearing sneakers, needs a pair of Superga sneakers in their life! I usually buy mine online at Superbalist or Spree (especially when they have one of their awesome sales), but you can also get them at Superga stores nationwide or in the Superga SA online store.
8. It’s All Easy: Delicious Weekday Recipes for the Super-Busy Home Cook ♥ R494,00 – These days I’m fresh out of meal ideas, I’ve been cooking dinner for Neal and I for almost 5 years now (and before that I was living on my own and also cooked dinner every single night). It’s feels like I’m cooking the same meals every week, and I’m getting bored (I’m sure most women feel like this at some stage). It’s time for fresh, new meal ideas and what better way to start the new year than with a cookbook curated by Gwyneth Paltrow – she shares 125 of her favourite recipes that can be made in the time it would take to order takeaways. All the dishes contain little or no sugar, fat, or gluten. From easy breakfasts to lazy suppers, the book has something for everyone (especially if you don’t have a lot of time on your hands). Yummy recipes include Chocolate Cinnamon Overnight Oats, Soft Polenta with Cherry Tomatoes, Chicken Enchiladas, Pita Bread Pizzas, Quick Sesame Noodles, and more! I think I shall add this to my ‘Christmas Wish List’. Available in the Takealot.com online store or at selected book stores nationwide.
9. Urban Decay NAKED Ultimate Basics Palette ♥ R850,00 – If there’s one eyeshadow palette that most people will get tons of use out of, then it’s this little guy. I’m still planning on doing a proper review of the palette (most of you already know Urban Decay is one of my favourite brands out there at the moment), but for now, here are the details: It’s an all-matte eyeshadow palette that contains 12 all-new neutral eyeshadows. Each shade is exclusive to the NAKED Ultimate Basics Palette, and completely different from the shades you will find in the Naked Basics and Naked2 Basics palettes. This is the perfect Christmas gift for any makeup lover out there (especially if she’s a nudes & neutrals girl) because the palette contains both cool- and warm-toned eyeshadows. Urban Decay eyeshadows are probably my ultimate favourite eyeshadows out there – they’re super pigmented, easy to blend and last really well on my oily eyelids. Available at the Urban Decay stand-alone store in Sandton City, or the Urban Decay store in Foschini (Eastgate Shopping Centre). Alternatively you can also purchase the palette for a limited time in the Urban Decay South Africa online pop-up store.
10. Marble & Gold Tray ♥ R399,00 – Truth be told, I only added the tray to this gift guide because I want it for myself…haha! I don’t think I need to explain why this is a great gift idea, right? I’m not that into décor but even I can’t resist the beauty of this marble tray with gold accents. If she’s a blogger, it’ll be a really nice prop for her blog photos. And if she’s a home décor enthusiast, well, then she definitely needs this in her home. Again, this is one of those Pinterest-worthy gifts…it will always be a winner! Get it at selected @Home stores, or here.
11. Stella’s Crown Ring ♥ R740,00 – Again, I’m kinda swooning over this dainty crown ring and that’s why I decided to include it in the gift guide. Isn’t she a beauty? What girl wouldn’t be over the moon if she was presented with this ring…am I right, or am I right? The ring is sterling silver with gold plating and features semi precious stones. Available in the Black Betty Design online store (by the way, I love all their other jewellery items too!).
12. Moonstone Teardrop Earrings ♥ R350,00 – When I saw these beautiful teardrop earrings at my local Poetry store, I immediately took a photo of it because I knew I wanted to include it in my gift guide blog post. I personally love moonstone gems – not only are they stunning, but it is believed they bring hope, enhance feminine energies, sensitivity, intuition, and a sense of calmness. Each pair is completely unique in design, because they are crafted in India. Available at selected Poetry stores, or here.
13. Real Techniques Your Picks Brush Set ♥ R649,95 – Ya’ll know I love makeup brushes, and Real Techniques is definitely one of my favourite makeup brush brands. This beautiful set is limited edition, so once it’s gone…it’s gone forever! The set consists of their 5 most-loved brushes (all part of the permanent range) but the special design is limited edition. I actually bought the set last week (it was on sale for R519,95) because the print reminded me of a cow print, plus the bright purple handles really stood out to me. The set contains a Buffing Brush, a Contour Brush, a Stippling Brush, a Deluxe Crease Brush, and a Base Shadow Brush. The perfect gift for someone who is just starting out with makeup or even someone who already has an established makeup collection – you can never own too many makeup brushes, right? Get it at selected Foschini stores, or in the Foschini For Beauty online store.
14. MAC Mariah Carey Lipstick ♥ R230,00 – You know what’s even better than giving a MAC lipstick as a Christmas gift? Gifting a MAC lipstick that is covered in silver glitter, AND is limited edition. The MAC x Mariah Carey collection has launched online, and I suggest you move fast if you want to get your hands on any of the products. Everything is covered in silver glitter – it’s the stuff dreams are made of! Head over to Temptalia’s blog post to check out the entire collection (includes swatches) – if the lady in your life has a dark skin tone, then the Extra Dimension Skinfinish is also a great option to consider. I already placed my order (I bought a lipstick and a blush), and I imagine everything is going to sell out pretty fast because it’s the most beautiful MAC collection my eyes have ever seen (and I’m sure most gals will agree with me). Available right now in the MAC South Africa online store, and will hopefully be available in-store later this week or next week.
15. NYX Beauty School Dropout Eye & Face Palette ♥ R475,95 – I feel like this is THE eye and face palette we’ve all been waiting for, especially since it’s from an affordable makeup brand. The Beauty School Dropout Palette in ‘Graduate’ contains 35 eyeshadows (mattes, shimmers, metallics), 2 contour shades, 2 highlight shades, and 3 blush shades. The face and eye makeup looks one can create with this palette are endless – natural, smokey, cool-toned, warm-toned…you name it! Plus, there is such a wide variety of shades, anyone (light, medium or dark skin tones) will be able to get really good use out of just this one palette. I was at the ‘World Of NYX’ launch in Menlyn a few weeks ago, and I received this palette in my PR bag. I’ve swatched a couple of the shades, and they are really good quality! Some are more pigmented than others, but overall I’m really impressed. NYX is definitely one of my top favourite ‘drugstore’ makeup brands because they have such a wide variety of products. This is what the ‘Beauty School Dropout – Graduate’ palette looks like inside:
Did you know? There is a HUGE NYX section in the Clicks store in Menlyn Shopping Centre (I have never seen so many NYX products – I would say 80% are new products we haven’t seen in South Africa). You can also purchase NYX products in the Clicks online store, just click here. They are currently running a 3-for-2 promotion on NYX goodies (online and in-store), so stock up now! A little birdie told me they are planning to roll out additional stores in 2017, but you didn’t hear that from me…my lips are sealed!
And there you have it! Again, I highly recommend you check out last year’s ‘Christmas Gift Guide: For Her | Over R200’ blog post for additional gifting ideas – a lot of the products featured are still available. I’ll be back later this week with the next ‘Christmas Gift Guide’ blog post – so make sure you keep an eye on the blog!