Charlie and Jezebelle are our little babies – Neal and I are so blessed to have these 2 amazing pooches in our lives, so we always spoil them for Christmas. Charlie is a little Chihuahua rescue dog from Wetnose (here’s a photo of my handsome boy), and Jezebelle is a little terror (click here to see a photo). She’s also a Miniature Pinscher…haha! But first and foremost, she’s a little terror (definitely the naughtiest dog I have ever met). She’s can be really well mannered sometimes (she can sit, and stay, and lie down when we ask her to) but most of the time she conveniently doesn’t hear us when we speak. She was a very sick little pup when she first arrived home – riddled with worms, kennel cough and even tonsillitis. About a year later she developed serious liver problems and a part of her liver died (I know it sounds weird, but basically a large part of her liver stopped functioning), the vet initially told us she didn’t have much longer to live. She was only a little 2 year-old pup back then… Our hearts were broken, but Jeze was a little fighter and recovered well. She’s on a special diet now, and probably won’t live as long as other dogs, but she’s definitely living the high life! I often think that’s why she’s so naughty – to give us all the grief she can, before it’s time for her to go to doggie heaven.
Ok, enough with the sad stuff…
As mentioned Neal and I love spoiling Charlie and Jezebelle on Christmas day, so it’s only right that I create a ‘Christmas Gift Guide – For Pooches’ as well. We don’t have a cat, so I unfortunately don’t have any gifting options for them (I honestly don’t even know what cats like).
There’s also a 2013 version of this gift guide blog post for the fur babies in your life, to check it out click here. Some of those items are still available, so I definitely recommend you take a look at that blog post for some extra gifting ideas.
Here we go!
1. Crocodile Soft Toy ♥ R 99,99 – This one is actually a kiddies toy from Mr P Home, but I’ve always bought Jezebelle’s toys from the kids section at Mr P Home. She has dark green crocodile (here’s a photo of her with her ‘Kwokidile‘), plus a long snake (more like an anaconda, which is 3 times the length of her body) and she loves both to death! It’s so cute when she drags her pink snake around with her wherever she goes. She doesn’t really destroy her soft toys, she just nibbles on small sections – so I’ve never had issues with her biting the plastic eyes off, or anything like that. If your dog does tend to dissect his / her toys, then stick to a soft toy that doesn’t have a hard plastic nose or eyes.
2. Wagworld Futon Cameo Dog Bed ♥ R 529,00 – Such a snazzy dog bed, we have 2 of these futon type dog beds and we keep them on the patio right by the sliding doors. Charlie and Jeze both love to relax in the sun, especially during Winter. This one is from Takealot.com, but Mr P Home have similar ones; or you can take a look at your closest vet / pet shops.
3. Hill’s Ideal Balance Soft Baked Naturals Dog Treats ♥ R 55,00 – Hill’s Ideal Balance treats for dogs combine natural ingredients with perfectly balanced nutrition. The 3 varieties are Oven-Baked Chicken & Apples, Soft-Baked Chicken & Carrots and Soft-Baked Duck & Pumpkin. All are made without any soy, wheat, corn, artificial colours or flavours. Hill’s Ideal Balance Canine Treats are available from vets and vet stores nationwide.
4. Doog Mrs Willow Stick Toy ♥ R 195,00 – These fetch toys from Doog are so interesting! They are made from recycled rubber (this makes them splinter free), plus they float in water so they are great for the river, beach or for competing in canine aqua sports. All of the sticks come with a string handle for throwing, plus you won’t have to pick up a slobbered toy. They also glow in the dark for late night play sessions. A couple of the sticks in the collection are longer, stronger and more durable than others – some are more suitable for yorkies and poodles, and other are best for larger dogs like labradors. They make a great companion for your dog to take to the park, beach or to play with at home. Available online at Takealot.com, but I’m sure selected vet / pet stores will sell them too.
5. Doog Mr Elwood Stick Toy ♥ R 195,00 – Mr Elwood here is most suitable for toy poodles, miniature poodles and standard poodles. As mentioned above, I saw these Doog fetch toys online at Takealot.com.
6. Flexi Retractable Dog Lead Classic 5m Cord ♥ R 269,00 – The best thing we ever did for the dogs was to buy each of them a retractable dog leash. A retractable leash consists of a thin cord wound onto a spring-loaded device inside the plastic handle. As your dog walks away from you, the cord unwinds (if the safety button is turned off). When he / she walks toward you, the cord retracts. The safety button on the handle also allows you to control how much of the cord can be extended. It gives your pet freedom of movement and allows them to explore a bit more without dragging you around with them. I would like to mention that we NEVER extend the leash while we are walking the dogs (this is very dangerous and could lead to them running into the road), we only extend to full length once we have arrived at the park or an open space where it is safe them to roam that little bit further. Various sizes are available for different breeds, but if you have a particularly powerful dog, then I might think twice before getting something like this. This one can extend up to 5 metres, and is available online at Takealot.com. I have also seen similar ones at my local vet / pet stores.
7. Homemade Dog Treat Biscuits ♥ Cheap-cheap – Sometimes the best gifts are homemade gifts… Why not treat your dog to some delicious homemade dog biscuits, especially since you have total control over what ingredients are added. Here are 4 delectable dog treat recipes for you: Carrot & Banana Natural Dog Treats, Sweet Potato & Apple Dog Treats, Peanut Butter & Oat Dog Treats, and Bacon & Cheddar Muttfins.
8. Kong Dog Toy Cozie Tupper The Lamb Soft Toy ♥ R 105,00 – Tupper The Lamb is an adorable plush squeaky toy that is perfect for cuddling up with. He is constructed with materials that are non-toxic and safe for your pet, and includes an extra layer of these materials to ensure that he is extra durable. Available at selected vet / pet stores nationwide, or online at Takealot.com.
9. Montego Sauce For Dogs ♥ R 29,00 – Charlie loves this SOOOO much! He can sometimes be a grumpy old man (13 years old in January 2016) and so he’s getting a bit picky when it comes to his food. He loves his Hill’s Prescription Diet t/d Dental Care kibble but every now & again I like to mix a tablespoon of this sauce from Montego in with his dry food (definitely not every day, though). It can be squeezed over your dog’s daily dry food as an easy way to break the routine, or when you simply want to show him / her some love. There are 4 flavours in the range: Boerewors, Roast Lamb, Grilled Steak, and Roast Chicken. I bought my bottle at my local pet store, but you can also buy it online at Takealot.com.
10. Timothy Turtle Soft Toy ♥ R 69,99 – Another cutie from Mr P Home, Timothy is a bit smaller than the crocodile mentioned above. Jezebelle will be getting this for Christmas… Shhh, don’t tell her.
11. Tangle Angel Pet Hair Brush ♥ R 280,00 – Pet Angel incorporates the same tried and tested technology developed for the amazing Tangle Angel hair brush – tested on humans, never on animals. The clever bristle design gently coaxes out knots and tangles with ease to deliver effortless grooming. Specially developed antibacterial additives embedded in the plastic make your Pet Angel ultra hygienic and safe to use. Pet Angel is not only perfect for grooming and detangling wet, dry or matted fur but also adds shine to both long and short coats. Available online at Retail Box.
12. Lucky Dog Gift Services Monthly Subscription Box ♥ R 295,00 – Lucky Dog Gift Services is a subscription box service (like Rubybox, but for your dog). Once you have subscribed to the service, Lucky Dog will send your pooch a box filled with dog-related goodies that are hand-picked for your dog (you specify the size and sex of your dog when you pay). What makes this service incredibly special, is that Lucky Dog will donate 5% of the subscription fee to worthy animal causes. I reviewed 2 of their boxes here on the blog in 2014, check them out here and here. For more information, take a look at the Lucky Dog Gift Services website.
13. iFetch Pet Toy ♥ R 1900,00 – For those dogs who love to play fetch! Such a genius idea – it’s perfect for indoor or outdoor use, it features a durable design for fetch-loving dogs, and it brings a fun new twist to the game of fetch! iFetch adapts to any environment, and has 3 adjustable settings: 3 metres, 6 metres or 9 metres. It is powered by either a wall plug or batteries, which means you can take it along with you on holiday. You can purchase this online at Takealot.com.
Gosh, so many of the products mentioned are available on Takealot.com. I promise this blog post isn’t sponsored in any way, I doubt they even know about my blog. Takealot.com, to me, is just a one-stop-shop of basically everything.
Happy hump day, everyone! The weekend is in sight!